The Japanese community has long had a presence here in Syracuse, with a handful of Japanese families moving to Syracuse from 1915-1919. Many of them had been working on the Barnes Estate, having set up roots at the location; but by 1920, most of the land in Syracuse was already settled. The LDS Church was the predominant religion in the area, though as more Japanese families moved to the area, it was soon realized that a facility for their religious worship was needed. As the majority of these early Japanese settlers were Buddhist, they sought to establish a church where they could worship and teach their children their culture and heritage. Some delegates from the farmers on Barnes' estate approached Mr. Claude T. Barnes, and Mr. Barnes donated some of his land for the building. The building was about 20 feet by 40 feet, made of wood, and the dedication was held on April 26th, 1925. The main carpenters for this project were Mr. Akasaka and Mr. Yamada.
It was used for social gatherings, including Japanese movie nights, farm organizations, and Judo, as well as Buddhist services. They also used it as a place where people could come and learn Japanese. Sadly the Buddhist church closed in March of 1980 when the Syracuse Buddhist Church merged with the Ogden Buddhist Church, with the building being demolished in 1990.